Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost




Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trail Tale: Otto Armleder Memorial Park, September 2010

Today we decided to take in the cool breeze and sunny skies while investigating the nature trail at Otto Armleder Memorial Park.  Usually we head straight to the playground and on the last two visits, we walked the paved trails, played in the Little Miami River, and threw stones in a small fishing pond which is tucked in at the base of a hillside beyond the soccer fields.  This time, I passed by the playground--promising my protesting boys a visit after our hike--and drove beyond the dog park to the Little Miami Access area and the trail head.  Parking is permitted in the grass. Somehow I persuaded the kids to skip the river this time around and let Marshall choose the direction of our hike, either to the Left or the Right.  He chose Right.




So, off we went.  At first, it seemed like a perfect path for the boys with plenty of room and only grass growing on the edge of the trail.  But after about 2 minutes in, the trail became overgrown enough that I decided to turn back and try the other direction.


 Again, it began as a lovely little hike...








We made it about 8 minutes before encountering the same problem, except this time there was plenty of poison ivy reaching it's threatening leaves into the pathway.  I have a huge fear of the three-leaved plant since I've had horrible experiences with rashes in the past.  I wish it wasn't such a deterrent and I could just barrel through.  But, I find it too difficult to keep myself and the two boys from brushing against the stuff when it's growing over the trail.

Leaves of Three--XXX!
I suppose overgrown trails are a given when hiking in the height of summer, but it is still a disappointment to have to turn back so soon.  All was not lost, though.  The boys still had fun finding a stick... 


Miles with Stick
...and a feather.


Marshall with Feather
Even fifteen minutes on a trail with a river view and tall trees reaching into a clear blue sky is better than nothing.






I'm not giving up on this trail just yet--I'll be back in the fall.  But, at this time, my favorite part of Otto Armleder Memorial are the paved paths that run along restored prairie land and the chance to wade  and skip stones in the Little Miami River.  As a whole--this is a great place to encounter nature with the boys.  (See my August 2010 post for more information).  And they really love the playground.

3 comments:

  1. My mom and dad have launched their kayaks from here. They really enjoy the easy access. Something to think about when the kids are a little older maybe? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fun. Shall we plan an outing for, oh say, 2020?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a couple cuties. My grandaughters four and she calls our hikes adventures as in "lets go on an adventure papaw". Love your blog

    ReplyDelete